July 20, 1939
The Riviera Hotel Company was issued a building permit for a three-story masonry structure costing $103,000, with 22 apartment units plus storefronts along both streets. Architects were John and Coulton Skinner. The building was named the Riviera Hotel for its first ten years, as seen in City Directories through 1949. Its architecture is Art Deco, or “Moderne” in style, and takes advantage of its important corner location. Two sweeping facades on the east and south, with eyebrows and racing stripes, meet in a chamfered corner, flanked at each story by a pair of octagonal lozenge windows. The corner parapet is built up, decorated with a bas-relief medallion, and crowned with a flagpole. A three-color chevron decorates the terrazzo floor at the corner entrance.